While power failures rarely occur due to an internal building system problem, external occurrences can cause power loss. Suncor Energy Centre has been designed to minimize the risk of a general power failure resulting from causes within the building. The building is equipped with an emergency power generator providing power to the life safety equipment (i.e. exit signs, elevators (one (1) elevator per bank), emergency lights and main fire equipment).
Once emergency power is restored each elevator, one at a time, will proceed to the ground level allowing the occupants to disembark. One elevator per bank will operate at a time until full power is restored.
All suites and public areas are equipped with independently powered exit signs and emergency lights. Should power failure occur, these will remain lit until normal power is restored.
In the event of an electrical failure, please observe the following guidelines:
- Contact the Property Management Office.
- Open draperies and raise blinds to let in outside light.
- If you are instructed to evacuate the building, lock all areas of your premises and remember to take your key.
- Do not congregate in the lobby areas or in the street.
- If you are trapped in an elevator during a power failure, do not panic. Wait for assistance. Your elevator will cease operation, but will not fail. Do not attempt to force the doors open or escape through the roof hatch. Use the elevator intercom to contact security to notify them of your location.
- Building management will notify you as soon as possible when power will be restored.